Additionally, almost all root canal therapy can be avoided by:
- Addressing decay before it reaches the nerve, including decay around older restorations
- Attending to any force-related issues (clenching & grinding) to avoid unnecessary trauma damaging the nerve
- Managing occlusal forces (bite balance) before and after any restorative dentistry is completed
Even in the best circumstances, a root canal treated tooth has a shorter lifespan than a natural tooth with a live and healthy nerve and is at risk for future infection and failure. Because of that fact, we make sure to rule out all other effective and conservative options prior to recommending root canal therapy as an option. If root canal therapy has been completed it is imperative that the tooth is monitored with 3D imaging regularly to ensure it is remaining healthy.
Second opinions for root canals: 3-D imaging
Advancements in dental imaging have made diagnostics much safer and simpler for evaluating the need for root canal therapy and ensuring prior root canal treated teeth are not harboring chronic infection.
At Downtown Dental we use low dose 3D CBCT imaging to ensure root canal therapy is actually necessary and to monitor the health root canal treated teeth. The images deliver incredible accuracy with very minimal radiation. Should root canal therapy actually be recommended, 3D imaging improves the success rate of the procedure by allowed the specialist to clearly see all root canals in the tooth.
3D technology allows endodontic diagnostics and treatments to be done more safely and accurately. This new technology:
- Prevents unnecessary endodontic procedures
- Allows the doctor to see chronic infection not able to be seen with traditional 2D imaging
- Makes root canal therapy more effective and safe
If you are looking for a second opinion on root canal therapy, or you have prior root canal treated teeth that need to be evaluated for chronic infection, contact our office for a consultation.
Bottom Line: The most important thing is that you find a provider that you trust who will help you navigate through all the conflicting information out there, and who will have an in-depth understanding of your individual circumstances in order to provide you customized advice on how to get and stay healthy.