As dental professionals, we are responsible for helping our patients remain healthy from the neck up. We provide our patients with the following complementary screenings at each of their visits:
– We will discuss your medical and dental history in detail, to determine your risk factors in order to help provide more individualized preventative options.
Oral Cancer Screening
– In the United States alone, one person dies every hour from oral cancer. Each time we see you, we will do a thorough head and neck cancer screening, checking all the areas that you cannot see yourself for any signs of oral cancer.
– Oxygen is the most important thing your body needs to survive and function at it’s best! We will check to ensure that nothing in your mouth, head, or neck is impinging on your body’s ability to get the oxygen it needs.
– Your teeth, muscles, and jaw joint make up your occlusal system. We will check each part of this system to make sure that you are not experiencing any negative effects of an unbalanced bite.
– We will check your teeth to ensure there are no signs of decay or broken down restorations.
– We will check your gum and bone health, looking for signs of infection or instability.
After our screenings are complete, we will do a thorough cleaning of your teeth. In a cleaning session, all of the plaque (sticky build-up) and calculus (hardened build-up) is removed from the surfaces of your teeth and gums. These two types of build-up harbor the bacteria which cause oral infections, cavities, and increase your risk for many ailments including heart disease and diabetes. Infection in the mouth leads to infection in the blood stream which can contribute to chronic inflammation!
Screenings and cleanings help to diagnose disease and other problems before they become serious and costly.